Blueprint Institute is looking for committed, early career professionals to join our team as Researchers. The successful applicants will conduct cutting-edge research and analysis, and help develop policy reform proposals that benefit Australia.
Blueprint Institute is a public policy think tank committed to finding evidence-based solutions to the great problems of our time.
The ideal candidates will have a strong public policy, statistics, and/or economics background, ideally at the Honours, Masters or PhD level, and at least one year of professional experience, with work in a policy setting (e.g. in a policy research institute, public service, ministerial office, university or consulting to the public sector) preferred. This is an exciting opportunity to have a real impact on the Australian policy landscape.
At a minimum, the successful candidate will have:
- A Bachelor's degree (postgraduate preferred) with a record of academic excellence
- Experience using qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Exceptional written communication skills
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team
- Ability to work to tight deadlines under pressure
Also helpful (but not essential):
- Experience and connections with media (drafting op-eds, media releases etc)
- Experience fundraising in a not-for-profit environment
- Experience in the climate and energy space, education space, or monetary policy space
As a new think tank, we have a growing set of research interests. Our work currently focuses on climate and energy policy, education reform, and tax and fiscal reform.
As a researcher, you will:
- Work with the research team, the Director of Research, and the CEO to undertake research projects using a combination of quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- Conduct cutting-edge data analysis and draw evidence-based conclusions.
- Present findings through high-quality and comprehensive written material (such as submissions, papers, and reports) that address complex policy issues and are suitable for practitioner audiences. Ensure statistical, graphical, and visual components are of a high standard, and in line with Blueprint brand image and expectations.
- Assist with the distribution of research among industry bodies and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Assist with the design and implementation of contemporary and innovative research methods and approaches that will improve the efficiency and quality of research.
- Assist with the preparation of funding applications where requested or necessary.
- Build and nurture robust relationships with key stakeholders.
- Ensure all project and research documentation is managed in alignment with Blueprint Institute’s document management processes.
About Blueprint Institute
Blueprint Institute is an independent Australian think tank that exists to influence policy and improve outcomes for Australia. Our philosophy is socially progressive, environmentally conscious, and economically responsible. We combine rigorous economic research with a pragmatic understanding of policy through regular engagement with key decision-makers. Our team has experience in politics, bureaucracy, academia, business, and civil society. We leverage this expertise to move the needle on critical policy issues.
Benefits of the role
Blueprint Institute is a fast-paced and welcoming environment. The small nature of our team means that a successful candidate will have strong engagement with the Institute’s senior leadership and opportunities to engage in all aspects of the research process, from design to stakeholder engagement, analysis, writing, and communication.
The successful applicant should be Sydney-based or willing to move there. We encourage flexible working arrangements and are happy to accommodate the circumstances of our chosen candidates. Office-based work will be increasingly common post-COVID. Our salaries are competitive for the public policy sector.
How to apply
Please send your application to [email protected] by midnight of 5th of May with the subject line ‘Researcher: YOUR NAME’.
Applications should include the following (in PDF format):
- A CV (max two pages)
- Academic transcript(s)
- A one-page cover letter
- A writing sample that best demonstrates your writing ability
- Contact details of two recent referees
Critical, independent thinkers are welcome at Blueprint Institute. Blueprint Institute is an equal opportunity employer and applicants from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact Blueprint Institute via [email protected]